Food As Medicine
I have always believed in magic be it fairytales or the magic around us. In my profession too as a dietician Iam astounded by the magic food offers us. Food has an innate ability to heal. Most of the modern day diseases like heart disorders, depression, and diabetes are a perfect combination of wrong foods and poor lifestyle. The sad part is though we appreciate the food magic when we are unwell but lose it when all’s fine. Since the modern time is also highly time pressed, iam not going go over the A-Z of food. Here are some real quick and simple food tactics to help you out.
Our body is made up of 70 percent water which is the life source of all. What if we combine water and food…that will be real magic. Here are a few simple homemade infusions from your kitchen shelf, to imbibe health and energy into your already existing food and lifestyle patterns.
Saunf ( fennel) infusion– Take a teaspoon on fennel seeds in a glass and pour 200 ml of boiling water over it. Cover it and leave it for 10 minutes and strain.
- Works great for digestive problems, anaemia and menstrual pains.
- Dosage- 200ml three times a day.
Orange – zest infusion– Take 40gm of orange rind and 15gm of bay leaf (tej pata).Pour 1 litre of boiling water over it and cover. Leave it for 20 minutes to infuse.
- Works wonders for the immune system. Good for blood and circulation disorders.
- Dosage- Drink this water instead of the normal water throughout the day.
Carrot seed infusion– Take 5gm of carrot seeds and pour 300ml of boiling water over them. Leave to infuse for 10 minutes and strain.
- Works well to stimulate digestion and is a mild diuretic.
- Dosage-150 ml 2-3 times a day.
Pear and apple infusion– Take 50gm of pear leaves and 50gm of dries apple leaves. Pour 1 litre of boiling water over them. Infuse for 20 minutes and strain.
- Good for kidney and gall bladder stones and bone disorders.
- Dosage-Drink all day instead of water.
Coriander seed infusion– Take 1 table spoon of coriander seeds and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Pour 150 ml of boiling water over them and cover. Infuse for 10 minutes and strain
- Good for the digestive system, period pains and flatulence.
- Dosage-150ml three times a day.
I believe you live only once so why not live healthy. Try the healing power of food; you’ll see the magic it creates.
Refrence- Food is Medicine by Piere Jean Cousin