Is The Sugar In Your Diet Causing Those Wrinkles?
The love and hate relationship between sugar and weight is the one that most of us are familiar with.Lets talk about a different view of sugar with wrinkles.Yes, sugar intake is directly proportional to wrinkles and ageing skin. So if the weight issue hasn’t lead to dump those cookies, the beauty issue surely will. Here’s what happens when we eat sugar.
- When you eat sugar, it attaches to proteins in the bloodstream leading to formation of Advanced Glycation Endproducts, or AGEs. These AGEs further damage the neighbouring protein molecules. So where does the skin come into the picture? Does elastin and collagen ring a bell, the protein in the skin which is responsible to keep the skin taut and firm. Collagen is the most common protein that the body makes thus making it most vulnerable during such chemical reactions.
- The skin is made up of three types of collagen’s types I, II, and III.Out of these the type III is the most stable one. A high sugar diet leads to conversion of type III collagen into type I collagen which is the most delicate and fragile one. This leaves the skin looking sagged and dull.
- AGEs deactivate the body’s antioxidant enzymes, leaving the skin susceptible to sun damage.
Prevention Through Diet
Here’s what you can do in your diet.
- Though eliminating sugar completely from the diet is not possible as your grains, vegetables are all carbs which get converted into sugar in the body. However you can cut down the sugar in the form of table sugar, cakes, cookies, ice creams, colas etc.
- Include more vegetables and fruits in your diet which are rich in antioxidants.
- Eating protein rich high fibre foods like nuts is also a good option.
- Since the body is made up of 70 percent water, it is extremely important to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday to flush out the toxins and to keep the skin supple and soft.
- Include foods rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids like fish and nuts in your diet.
Ageing is a natural process and avoiding it is inevitable.However being aware about what you are doing with your body is also important.A minor indulgence such as sugar can add that extra wrinkle on your face..so think before you grab that chocolate.