5 Strategies To Break A Weight Loss Plateau
You have been losing weight steadily with exercise and diet and suddenly there comes a halt. The phrase “last 10 pounds” seems to hover around you. The dilemma is that you are doing everything as you were earlier but the scale is just not going down. If you are experiencing the weight loss halt, then be patient here are a few scientific facts to clear the air. When you have lost a considerable amount of weight by following a certain plan, the body gets accustomed to it or takes it for granted.So the effect that the plan had on your body a few weeks or months ago doesn’t work now. This phenomenon is called as a weight loss plateau.
This plateau many times makes many lose the motivation to work further leading to frustration. Well don’t worry it is not an issue to kill over, just change a few things to move forward. Here are 5 ways to give your weight loss a kick.
- Change your workout plan– Give your exercise plan a shift. If you have been following a fixed workout plan then boost it up a bit or tone it down to break the plateau. For example add an additional 10 minutes of high intensity cardio or cut out cardio for a few days from your exercise routine. Basically try out things to confuse your body.
- Zig zag method– Another way to break out of a weight loss plateau is calorie cycling. With this method you alter your daily calorie intake but keeping your weekly calorie intake same. An example to follow would be to eat 1300 calories a day and 2000 calories the next day. Keep on alternating the calorie intake to bring the change.
- Building muscle mass– Add strength training to your exercise plan. Strength training aims at increasing the muscle mass thus increasing the metabolic rate.
- Vary your diet– Change how you eat your carbs, proteins and fats. If you have been on a high protein low carb diet then change it to a moderate protein low carb plan or a high carb plan for a few days. There is no need to worry too much about it just change the things you eat. Maybe omit the protein from your breakfast and add a carb or change your evening snack.
- Meal timings-Eat more frequently and regularly. If you have been eating 3 meals in a day change it to 5 meals or visa versa.
The most important thing to understand is that everyone has a different body. So no one strategy can work for all, you know your body the best. If you have come to a plateau then give things a break and chill out. Maybe its just a break your body requires.