Conversations Over Food May Not Be The Best For Your Weight
My firm belief in the benefits of food and the body’s ability to talk to oneself got me into reading Deepak Chopra’s Perfect Health. I came across this very interesting ideology practiced in Ayurveda called as BITS. Abbreviated for Body Intelligence Tips, BITS refers to how our body reacts to the surroundings, sounds and thoughts while we eat food. Ayurveda proposes that in order to attain perfect health it is also important to focus on how you eat food and not only on what you eat. Let me put it this way, you are having dinner with colleagues and the tiff you had with your boss comes up in the conversation. Do you still enjoy eating as you did when you started the meal, or now does the focus comes on to the situation you were in at work? The body is really smart you see, every word you say is literally heard by your body. The brain sends out signals interpreting your thoughts and actions to your stomach and to other organs in the body. This leads to chemical upsurges and falls in the body comprehending the way the food is digested. In the literal sense the phrase” gut feeling” actually stands true when it comes to food. Deepak Chopra recommends 16 BITS which can take your body’s ability to digest food and benefit from it to a new level.
- Eat in a settled atmosphere.
- Never eat when you are upset.
- Always sit down to eat.
- Eat only when you feel hungry.
- Avoid ice-cold drink or food.
- Don’t talk while chewing food.
- Eat at a moderate pace, neither too fast nor too slow.
- Wait until one meal is digested before eating the next.
- Sip warm water with your meals.
- Eat freshly cooked meals whenever possible.
- Eat well cooked meals- they are easier to digest.
- Do not cook with honey- heated honey is known to create toxins in the body.
- Drink milk separately from meals either alone or with sweet foods
- Experience all six tastes in a meal( sweet, sour, salt, pungent, astringent and bitter).
- Leave 1/3rd to 1/4th of your stomach empty to aid digestion.
- Sit down quietly after a meal.
By following these tips you will notice how comfortable you feel with your body.You can say goodbye to all those glow creams and lotions, as the best glow you can get is when your body is nourished and appreciated. The best way to do this by providing it with well cooked and wholesome food.
If you have been struggling with your weight, then BITS are of great help too.You will be surprised but many a times you may be eating healthy food but in an unhealthy environment which may be the root cause of your weight gain. Running around while eating your greens, tensed while eating food; result is feeling bloated, heavy and fat. You need to understand every human body has been bestowed with this amazing intelligence which tells you when to stop and when to start doing something…even eating. Most of the overweight people indulge in mindless eating where the feeling of being full is overshadowed with gluttony. The power of conscious eating is the one that can take your body to perfect health. That glorious self confidence, glow and that head turning attitude is all in your hands. Just follow your body, you’ll be well directed.